There's this little builtin operator in C# called "nameof". You give it a thing and it returns you the name of the thing, in a string...
So, nameof(MyClass) returns the string "MyClass" . And on first glance that's pretty useless, because if you have to type the name of the thing, why not type two ...
Search found 64 matches
- Tue Sep 15, 2026 5:59 pm
- Forum: Langdev
- Topic: I love nameof
- Replies: 0
- Views: 378
- Tue Sep 15, 2026 5:37 pm
- Forum: Game Programming
- Topic: Snippets: The IDE feature from the 1990s nobody told you about
- Replies: 2
- Views: 526
Re: Snippets: The IDE feature from the 1990s nobody told you about
Probably not many people realizes that, because for programming languages, it's easy to find an extension that gives you language snippets for a while loop, or a for-each loop.
Yes!! This so much. I wrote this yesterday thinking: People will think I'm dumb and this is obvious because everybody ...
- Mon Sep 14, 2026 4:21 pm
- Forum: Game Programming
- Topic: Snippets: The IDE feature from the 1990s nobody told you about
- Replies: 2
- Views: 526
Snippets: The IDE feature from the 1990s nobody told you about
I started honing up my snippet skills at the start of the development of Iris Blade and I'm really happy with the results. I think it was a random message by Kampffrosch that got me into it, actually, so I wanted to say thanks! :heart_orange:
In VSCodium snippets are quite easy. Browsing the docs ...
In VSCodium snippets are quite easy. Browsing the docs ...
- Wed May 13, 2026 9:14 pm
- Forum: Game Programming
- Topic: I give up, min / max just doesn't fit my brain
- Replies: 4
- Views: 47872
Re: I give up, min / max just doesn't fit my brain
... or even :blobcatgiggle:
clamp(x, min=Float.MIN_VALUE, max=Float.MAX_VALUE) = clamp(x, min, max)
so you can write
this.x = clamp(this.x + Time.deltaTime, max=maxValue)
Ohhhh I read this before during the stream and didn't realize what you meant. You mean clampMax for min and ...
- Wed May 13, 2026 9:09 pm
- Forum: General
- Topic: Interest check: Cool forum features
- Replies: 1
- Views: 36022
Re: Interest check: Cool forum features
To procrastinate on making maps you should at least have the map editor open
But I like all these features! Old cringey forum nostalgia is what this is all about
But I like all these features! Old cringey forum nostalgia is what this is all about
- Wed May 13, 2026 12:44 pm
- Forum: Game Programming
- Topic: I give up, min / max just doesn't fit my brain
- Replies: 4
- Views: 47872
Re: I give up, min / max just doesn't fit my brain
Yes, the method syntax makes min/max far worse. But at_least / at_most would read so nice in method syntax... I'm gonna add this and see if I end up using it!Kampffrosch wrote: Wed May 13, 2026 12:36 pm I always readas "a should be at least b"Code: Select all
a.min(b)
- Wed May 13, 2026 12:32 pm
- Forum: Game Programming
- Topic: I give up, min / max just doesn't fit my brain
- Replies: 4
- Views: 47872
I give up, min / max just doesn't fit my brain
It's very common when writing game code to want to express the idea that this variable saturates at a certain value, for example:
this.x += Time.deltaTime;
if (this.X > maxValue) {
this.X = maxValue;
}
Now you see how my brain likes to think in terms of the "maximum value" this variable is ...
this.x += Time.deltaTime;
if (this.X > maxValue) {
this.X = maxValue;
}
Now you see how my brain likes to think in terms of the "maximum value" this variable is ...
- Mon Apr 20, 2026 7:03 pm
- Forum: 2D Art
- Topic: Turned a cheap usb numpad into a compact aseprite shortcut keyboard
- Replies: 1
- Views: 38110
Re: Turned a cheap usb numpad into a compact aseprite shortcut keyboard
Continuing with this, here's a little pic of my aseprite on-the-go setup!
image.png
I'll also say that I changed methods and I'm now no longer using hwdb but input remapper . This was also mentioned in David Revoy's post, but the issues have been fixed since then and it now works like a charm ...
image.png
I'll also say that I changed methods and I'm now no longer using hwdb but input remapper . This was also mentioned in David Revoy's post, but the issues have been fixed since then and it now works like a charm ...
- Sat Apr 18, 2026 5:56 pm
- Forum: 2D Art
- Topic: Turned a cheap usb numpad into a compact aseprite shortcut keyboard
- Replies: 1
- Views: 38110
Turned a cheap usb numpad into a compact aseprite shortcut keyboard
Not exactly 2D art, but it's about art and I draw 2D, so here it goes :akko_shrug:
Inspired by this blog post by the krita legend David Revoy, I too turned a cheap USB numpad into a shortcut keyboard. This is quite intuitive to use, even if I've just been a couple hours at it.
This thing is ...
Inspired by this blog post by the krita legend David Revoy, I too turned a cheap USB numpad into a shortcut keyboard. This is quite intuitive to use, even if I've just been a couple hours at it.
This thing is ...
- Tue Apr 07, 2026 7:55 am
- Forum: Langdev
- Topic: The power of discriminated unions is exhaustivity, not the unions
- Replies: 0
- Views: 50432
The power of discriminated unions is exhaustivity, not the unions
For those who aren't in the loop, C# has finally released a preview version for union types! ! There's a catch though.
To clarify, union here means discriminated union, not a C-style union. It's what Rust calls an enum when the variants of the enum have payloads and not just a tag. I think zig ...
To clarify, union here means discriminated union, not a C-style union. It's what Rust calls an enum when the variants of the enum have payloads and not just a tag. I think zig ...